Welcome to Riini's blog filled with random ramblings, thoughts, photos and stories.
I hope you enjoy this blog. Don't forget to say Hi to Riini. She loves that. :)

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Riini at Berwick

After settling in our motel at Dandenong, we looked around for dinner. Turned out, not a lot of restaurants around there according to Mr Internet, apart from The Pancake Parlour just next door. We decided on the restaurant around 30 minutes drive that seemed to be recommended.

EightyOne was the choice. It was located in Berwick.



As we walked in, I just admired the huge space in front of me. Tall ceiling with bold dividers between tables and the bright colour wall decoration. What a stylish place.



Cool looking lighting.



Lucky for me, we sat right in front of the kitchen window so I can see a lot happening. There were 2 main chefs working hot dishes and they worked together so well it's like a dance. There was also another chef who does the cold dishes.



Mr E's entree of Crumbed soft shell crab with spiced lemon aioli & tarragon sea salt.



It was yummy, however, crab wasn't as crunchy as I liked it to be.

I had the Prawn & Lobster Salad with green gazpacho, avocado & tomato oil.



The annoying thing about restaurant's dimness is that I couldn't really see my food properly. That said, I remembered I liked this dish. Light and refreshing.



For main, Mr E got this gorgeous looking Chargrilled Yearling Rump on rosemary & garlic fat chips with tomato chutney & onion rings. I got Baked Parmesan & Ricotta Gnocchi with wild mushroom, sage, peas, bocconcini & almond pangrattata.



The gnocchi was soft and fluffy. It was good. I just love all the extra cheese on it. I almost died from artery blockage but at least I was happy. The only thing I don't like was the weird vegetable in it. It tasted 'Asian' and didn't match the rest of the flavour.

Then comes dessert time. I have to say though EightyOne has the most interesting looking dessert combo menu I've ever seen. Reading down the menu, with selection of Pear & Rhubarb turnover, Vanilla cheesecake with dragonfruit/passionfruit syrup or 81 Sundae with House made & Caprilac Goats Milk Ice-Cream, it was definitely hard decision. Mr E was too full for dessert so we shared this dessert.



Stirring away from my usual rich dessert (aka slather of chocolate fudge on triple choc ice cream with dark choc fudge cake), I chose Persimmon steamed pudding with poached Quince Custard apple anglaise & quince reduction. This was a great decision. The pudding was warm and the poached quince was just delicious. So was the anglaise, although they could have put more to soak the pudding. One of the best desserts I've ever tried. Mr E agreed.

Service was attentive, food was delicious, atmosphere was great.

EightyOne
81 High St
Berwick, VIC
www.eightyone.com.au

Riini, over and out!

Eightyone on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment